Sony Ericsson mobile phones are awesome, at least to me. I have been using SE K550i since 2007 and its performance is great. Although the camera is not up to the mark as the Cyber-shot name would suggest, the camera can be upgraded. The same goes for the sound quality of the media player. This tutorial is intended for flashing a SE K550i (DB2020, CID53) into a W610 (DB2020, CID53), which will give you a Cyber-shot phone with upgraded camera driver and a Walkman 2.0 player.
There are many tutorials on the internet that will guide you through the process. But in this one, I would like to sum up all the info you need as easily as possible.
If you have been using SE K550i for a long time, most probably you have upgraded it using SE Update Service. This will update your phone from a CID51 phone into CID53 phone. Therefore, you cannot flash your SE K550i with the XS++ tool. You will need the following softwares/files for the flashing.
1. FAR Manager with JDFlasher
2. SE W610 R8BA024 CID53 MAIN file
3. SE W610 R8BA024 CID53 FS file
4. SE W610 CDA102568 107 R8A Customization files
5. A nice camera driver of your choice
6. SE W880i Acoustics files
The last two are not necessary, you need them only if you want to mod your new W610 with a better camera driver and my personal favorite W880i acoustics. You can download all these files by searching the net (I prefer filestube.com or forums.se-nse.net). Once you’ve got these required files, proceed forward for the flashing.
1. If you do not have the SE Update Service installed, install it first. It is necessary only for the USB drivers. Also, backup any important files on your phone including the contacts and memory card.
2. Start the FAR Manager with JDFlasher.
3. Press F11 and then press J
4. Turn off your cell phone and remove the battery. Remove the memory card. Re-insert the battery. Do not turn on the phone now.
5. Connect the USB data cable’s (the one came with the phone) one end to the PC you are using. Then connect the other end to your cell phone KEEPING THE “C” KEY PRESSED.
6. Wait for the FAR Manager will detect your phone. If everything goes well, you will see two options on the left-hand column of the FAR Manager, namely OFLASH and OFS.
7. Double click on the OFLASH.
8. On the right-hand column of FAR Manager, browse to the directory where you kept the W610 MAIN file (with *.mbn extension). Select the file using right click.
9. Press F5. Then click COPY and then YEAH, FLASH IT.
10. Wait for some time for the flashing to be complete. Once the main file flashing is complete, click on the “…” on the left-hand column of FAR Manager and click OK. Remove the USB cable.
11. Repeat STEP 5 through 8. But this time, select the W610 FS file (with *.fbn extension) using right click. Repeat STEP 9 through 10.
12. Now, you have completed the main file flashing and the file system flashing! You have to copy the customization files, acoustic files and camera driver. Repeat STEP 5 through 6. Double click on OFS this time to start the file manager of the phone.
13. On the left-hand column, browse to /tpa/preset/custom/ directory. There should be two folders on this directory. On the right-hand column, browse to your customization files. Select them all by dragging the mouse over all the files while keeping the right button clicked. Press F5 and then click on Copy.
14. Now, on the left-hand column, browse to /tpa/settings/camera/. On the right-hand column, browse to the directory where you have the camera driver (*.dat file). Select the camera driver file on the right-hand column using right click and then press F5 and then click on Copy.
15. Now, on the left-hand column, browse to /tpa/settings/acoustics/. On the right-hand column, browse to the directory where you have the acoustics files. Select all the files on the right-hand column using right click and then press F5 and then click on Copy.
16. Double click on the “…” on the left-hand column thrice and click OK. Disconnect your phone from the PC.
That’s all, you have a brand new phone with a good camera and very good sound quality. Do not forget to buy HPM-70 headphones to enjoy the full capability of the Walkman player.