Although stock android might not be everyone’s favorite, many prefer the uncluttered stock android skin to OEM skins like Sense and TouchWiz. As the stock android is not bogged down by several different (sometimes unnecessary) pre-loaded apps and services, it usually performs better than manufacturer skins. Getting the complete stock android experience was limited to Nexus devices, which were (and still are) pretty hard to get outside USA for a proper price. But since last year, we are seeing the release of Google Play Edition devices, which boasts stock android on spectacular hardware of different OEMs, such as the Galaxy S4 and the HTC One.
The HTC One Google Play Edition (GPE) consists of the exact same hardware as the AT&T HTC One including the same radio bands. Therefore, converting your AT&T HTC One to GPE is fairly simple and quick. Same goes for the HTC One Developer edition, which also has the same hardware and radio bands. Follow the steps below to convert your AT&T HTC One or Developer Edition HTC One to HTC One GPE. Your device will be converted to official GPE and you will get OTAs directly from Google 🙂
- Download the stock non-rooted/rooted RUU-HTC_One_GE-4.4-3.62.1700.1.zip file from here.
- If you are not already S-OFF, get S-OFF using the method described here.
- Enable “USB Debugging” on your phone from Settings > Developer Options
- Connect your device with your PC where you have ADB and FASTBOOT installed
- Backup your content from phone as it will be completely wiped after this process
- Write the following command in command prompt:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem writecid GOOGL001 fastboot reboot-bootloader fastboot erase cache fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot flash zip RUU-HTC_One_GE-4.4-3.62.1700.1.zip
- It will show “Failed” when you press enter. Don’t panic and run the last command again. This time it will succeed. After successful flashing, reboot your phone using the following command
- When rebooted, you will have an official GPE HTC One device. You will likely to get OTA notification for Android 4.4.4!!