Moto G is one of the most widely appreciated phone of 2013. With this phone, Motorola has showed that you don’t have to spend a premium to get a very acceptable smartphone experience. What’s even more amazing is the developer support behind this device. The XDA Forum for Moto G is very active and there are tons of custom ROMs and custom kernels available for this tiny beast. However, you would need to unlock your bootloader first to taste those different ROMs and kernels. In this tutorial, I will list the steps for unlocking the bootloader of your MOTO G.
- First, you need to download the Minimal Fastboot and ADB for the unlocking operations. Go to this page and download the appropriate 32bit or 64bit version.
- You will also need to install the drivers for your Moto G, more precisely, the adb and fastboot drivers specifically for your device. Go to this page and download the Universal ADB Driver. Install the driver.
- Find the file “android_winusb.inf” in the ClockWorkMod folder of Program Files or Program Files (x86). Then open the file with Notepad and add the following two lines under the DEVICES section.
MotorolaADBInterface = USB_Install, USB\VID_22B8&PID_2E76&REV_0228&MI_01 MotorolaBootLoaderInterface = USB_Install, USB\VID_22B8&PID_2E80&REV_0100
- Now turn your Moto G off. Wait a few seconds. Then press the Volume Down button along with the Power button for a few seconds. Release the power button and you will be taken to the bootloader menu.
- Connect your Moto G with your computer on which you installed the drivers and installed the Minimal ADB and Fastboot. Wait for some time while Windows installs and configures the required drivers.
- Go to the folder where you installed the Minimal ADB and Fastboot. Right click on any empty space while pressing the SHIFT key on keyboard and select Open Command Window Here.
- In the command prompt, type “fastboot oem get_unlock_data“. In return, you will get a big code. Copy the code and paste it somewhere safe.
- Head over to this official website by Motorola. Follow the step by step instructions and use the code you got in the previous step. You will get an email with your unlock code, unique for your device.
- In the command prompt, now type “fastboot oem unlock <your unlock code>“. Replace the <your unlock code> part with the code that you got via email. Press enter and you will likely get an warning on the phone that this will remove all your data. Agree to that.
- Your device should now be bootloader unlocked. Type “fastboot reboot” and your device will boot into normal mode. You will see a warning message every time you boot your phone stating that your bootloader is inlocked.
However, if you have the Asia retail version of the Moto G and your current Android version is 4.4.4, you cannot unlock the bootlaoder in this way, you will see an error stating wrong unlock code or something when you type “fastboot oem unlock <your unlock code>“. Don’t worry, we can still unlock your bootloader. Follow the steps below to unlock your device. But remember to apply the following steps only if you have a Asia Retail with Android 4.4.4.
- Download the ZIP file. Extract the contents of the ZIP file. You will find two img files inside the folder, namely, motoboot.img and motoboot_41.15_testdrive.img. Now, if you are not in the bootloader mode, get into bootloader mode as described above. Then connect your phone with USB cable to your computer, open command prompt in the Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder and type the following commands:
fastboot flash motoboot motoboot_41.15_testdrive.img
fastboot oem unlock [UNLOCK KEY]
fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
- Now you should have a bootloader unlocked Moto G.