If you have a Motorola Moto G (2013) and still haven’t received the Android 5.0 OTA notification, you can manually upgrade your device to Android 5.0 Lollipop. This tutorial will exactly show you how to do that. I am trying to write this tutorial in such a way that both the single SIM version and the dual SIM version of Moto G can be upgraded.
- Unlock your bootloader. If you haven’t done that already, then you can follow the post here.
- You should have the Motorola Drivers installed along with Minimal ADB and Fastboot. If you do not have those installed, you can follow the steps listed here to install those.
- If you have a dual SIM Moto G, you need to convert your Moto G to Brazil Retail with Android 4.4.4 or the Google Play Edition Android 4.4.4. But if you have the single SIM Moto G, you can only do the GPE Android 4.4.4 conversion. Depending upon your version of Moto G, download the Brazil retail 4.4.4 firmware from here or here or here. If you want to go the GPE route, download the GPE 4.4.4 firmware from here or here.
- Extract the zip file. Copy the executable files from the installation location of Minimal ADB and Fastboot to the recently extracted folder of the firmware.
- Turn off your device. Wait a few seconds and then press the Volume Down button and Power button together for a few seconds. Release the Power button and you will enter the Bootloader mode.
- Connect your phone to your computer using the USB cable. Now, in the firmware folder, SHIFT+Right Click and select Open Command Prompt Here.
- Type the following commands:
fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
fastboot flash logo logo.bin
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase userdata
- Make sure that after every command, you see Okay on the command prompt. Now type “fastboot reboot” and you should boot into normal mode.
- Now download the OTA ZIP file for the Brazil retail from here or here. The OTA ZIP file for the GPE can be downloaded from here. Copy the ZIP file on your phone memory without changing the name or anything of the file.
- Reboot into bootloader mode and select Recovery from the menu. For navigation in the bootloader menu, use the Volume Down button and for selection, use the Volume Up button.
- Once you are in the recovery mode, you will see an Android lying on the screen with red exclamation sign. Keep pressing the Power button and then press the Volume Up button for just a moment. You will enter the recovery menu.
- Now select “Apply update from SD card” from the menu and navigate to the zip file you copied earlier. For navigation, you can use both the Volume Up and Down buttons and for selection, use the Power button.
- The recovery will flash the OTA update onto your phone and your phone will be upgraded to Android 5.0 Lollipop. Select “Reboot” from the recovery menu and you are done.